With nearly-unlimited resources for motherhood, it can be difficult to figure out what's helpful and what subtly distracts from our primary mission as moms. Even in the Christian resources, there are great nuggets of truth, stirred together with potentially dangerous theology. How can we safely get the help we need for motherhood without deviating from the path of truth? In this episode, Emily and Laura discuss the common fears and missteps moms face as they navigate resources, and offer gospel-principles for "finding the meat and spitting out the bones". Because ultimately, when we are familiar with biblical truth we can be wise and discerning instead of scared and gullible.
Helpful Questions for Discerning Resources:
- Check credentials / endorsements
- Who is this person? Were they educated in their field, and if so, where? How are they getting their information and who else endorses it? What is their reputation?
- Check agenda
- What type of theology are they hoping the reader adopts? Is there an underlying ideology that influences their ideas?
- Check associations
- Who do they "buddy-up" with? Are they involved in any questionable or unethical organizations, ministries or "tribes"?
- Check for the gospel
- What is their worldview? Is it gospel-centered or coming from a different perspective completely?
- Check for common issues of false teaching
- Prosperity gospel
- Works-based mentality
- Encouraging hope in something / someone other than Christ (lifestyle, relationship, parenting method, finding the "perfect" balance, etc.)
- Culturally relative mentality: "whatever seems good to me or others must be right"
Articles & Other Resources:
- To subscribe: on iOS, go to our iTunes page and subscribe. On Android, click this podcast RSS feed link and select your podcast app. You may need to copy the link into your favorite podcast app (like Overcast or Stitcher).
- Leave an iTunes review. These are huge for us! The more reviews, the greater chance another mother will find us.
- Like Risen Motherhood on Facebook, Instagram and follow on Twitter for the latest updates and related information.
- Let us know your thoughts! We'd love to hear more about the conversations you're having. Shoot us an email, or find us on on social media.
- Tell others. We truly hope this podcast fosters conversations and deeper discussions between mothers to seek the gospel in their daily activities - we'd be honored if you shared and encouraged others to listen in.